Screw Yu Too Koji – How Another Japanese Hurler Got Away

Blue Jays fans will certainly remember the winter and offseason of 2011 when it was announced that Yu Darvish would in fact not be joining the Toronto Blue Jays.  Despite weeks of speculation and the death of one Jays “insider” on Twitter the Texas Rangers came away with Yu Darvish.

The rest as they say is history.

In 378 career MLB innings Darvish has a 3.38 ERA, 3.16 xFIP, 11.1 K/9, 1.16 WHIP and a .204 BAA.  He has been worth 9.4 wins over that same period and to quote the great Homer Simpson on the general feelings of losing out on him “DOHHH”.  Well fast forward to the winter and offseason of 2012 and another Japanese star pitcher slipped through our hands, though this time at the request of the player.

I was excited when I learned the Toronto Blue Jays had landed Japanese reliever Koji Uehara from the Texas Rangers.  I was consequently very disappointed when it was learned Koji would use his no-trade protection to block the move.

The Blue Jays bullpen in 2013 has been very solid and it is doubtful that Koji would’ve made any difference to our playoff chances (unless we landed both he and Darvish) but he is also having one of the greatest seasons a reliever has ever had.

His WHIP currently sits at a ridiculous 0.57 and ERA is 1.08.  Read that again, it is not a typo.  I ran a search at Fangraphs to see who has the best single-season WHIP for a relief pitcher since 1950 (50.0 minimum innings).

Season Player                 WHIP   ERA   FIP   ERA-
2013 Koji Uehara 0.57 1.08 1.68 26
1989 Dennis Eckersley 0.61 1.56 2.19 43
1990 Dennis Eckersley 0.61 0.61 1.34 16
2012 Craig Kimbrel 0.65 1.01 0.78 26
2008 Mariano Rivera 0.67 1.40 2.03 32
2003 Eric Gagne 0.69 1.20 0.86 30

I know WHIP isn’t a trendy statistic but I really like it as a down and dirty number to see who is effective at keeping runners off base.  Koji Uehara is in some pretty insane company and his overall statistical line is just as impressive.

2013 ERA   WHIP   BAA   K/9   BB/9 K/BB  HR/9  xFIP  WAR
Koji Uehara 1.08 0.57 .127 12.5 1.2 10.3 0.68 2.05 3.0

Given those insane strikeout numbers coupled with an eye-popping 18% swinging strike rate one would assume that Uehara is a flame-thrower however you would be mistaken.  His average fastball velocity in 2013 is 89.2 MPH and in fact he only throws the heater 46.3% of the time.  The major equalizer and perhaps one of the best pitches in baseball is his splitter, thrown 81.1 MPH and 47.7%.

I wanted to search again on that same list of top WHIP seasons to see if the lack of big time velocity for Koji was indeed an outlier among the top relievers.

Here are the results as per Fangraphs data:

Season Player WHIP FB% (Velo) K% SwStrk%
2013 Koji Uehara 0.57 46.3 (89.2) 39.1% 18.2%
2012 Craig Kimbrel 0.65 67.6 (96.8) 50.2% 19.2%
2008 Mariano Rivera 0.67 82.0 (92.8) 29.7% 12.0%
2010 Joaquin Benoit 0.68 65.0 (94.0) 34.6% 14.8%
2003 Eric Gagne 0.69 55.8 (95.2) 44.8% 22.3%
2007 JJ Putz 0.70 77.6 (94.7) 31.5% 13.3%

First off, I guess steroids can help pitching as much as hitting – look at those Eric Gagne numbers in the absolute prime steroid era.  That 22.3% swinging strike rate is crazy (only Brad Lidge in 2004 – 25.0% is better).

This list does not encompass the hundreds of amazing relief seasons but among the very best WHIP seasons of all-time it is clear that Uehara attacks hitters in a completely different manner.  Koji Uehara trails some of these flame throwers by 5-6 MPH on fastball velocity making his current 2013 campaign that much more special (for me anyway).

While he might not have helped the woeful Blue Jays in 2013 at the very least it would have been fun to see this relief samurai work day in and day out.  I think I can safely say that Koji Uehara would’ve been beloved by Blue Jays nation if only he would’ve given us a chance.

Oh well, at least some of our prospects are working out.   Check out Andrew Stoeten’s latest piece highlighting the Jays system might not be quite as bad as many believe.

About these ads

20 Responses to “Screw Yu Too Koji – How Another Japanese Hurler Got Away”

1. 1 zaun aus polen October 1, 2014 at 11:59 pm

zaunmetall angeboten von unserer Firma Gehäuse auf
    Krakau gemacht von professionelle beste Hersteller. Wir ebenfalls treppe und andere
    wichtige professioneller Qualität. Set
    Produkte kontinuierlich ständig bereichert,
    weil es versuchen, , an zu bieten unseren Laden war sehr extrem interessant
    . Wir fest Experten , Was Art besitzen Groß Wissen, Bildung
    und lange Erfahrung in der Industrie SPACE
    Konstruktion. besten verführerische Kosten, da Priority ist
    Empfänger und Glück. Unser Unternehmen arbeitet auf mehreren Stufen und nicht
    nur Angebot professionelle Artikel und montieren in die Website if client möchte.
    Doppelstabmattenzaun – doppelstabmattenzaun polen. Arbeit in der Industrie nun viele Jahre so erhalten erkennen viele Kunden .
    Überprüfen Socken Bedar wir wollen zu werden zu gegen Wünsche Partner, aus
    diesem Grund erwarten bis alle Arten Vorschläge über
    Unternehmen .

2. 2 Pirate Bay September 26, 2014 at 2:31 am

Since their story wouldn’t be the better choice
    within the context of my reality, I translated the vibration in a story that could have used on me.
    Therefore, when you have accidently clicked on a Trojan virus
    program, there isn’t any escape until it fully enters your computer.
    You won’t have to wait hours before you can actually watch
    a movie.

3. 3 plus.google.com June 17, 2014 at 2:39 am

These adjustments to the table according to need make the
    patient more comfortable, present specific areas of
    the body for treatment, and support the chiropractic adjustments
    that the chiropractor makes to the patient’s musculoskeletal system.

If you fall in this category or just want to know more, continue reading.
    Therapeutic use of exercise has many benefits including
    strengthening injured muscles, restoring aerobic capacity, increasing blood flow to injured areas, and
    helping patients feel confident in their ability to perform day-to-day tasks.

4. 4 chiropractic websites June 15, 2014 at 8:58 am

It’s something that you really need to have some good advice about so that you know what to
    do. BEAVERCREEK, OH – June 17, 2010 -During the past two decades there has been a remarkable increase in obesity in the United States.
    Chiropractic treatment is usually in a kind of a massage.

5. 5 best chiropractic websites June 12, 2014 at 8:22 am

Parents have stated that with their child
    receiving regular chiropractic adjustments has no more asthma, colds, infections
    not to mention sleepless nights and emergency room trips.

I used the breathing techniques my friend Anna taught me.
    Department of Education to give accreditation to chiropractic schools.

6. 6 estate gold April 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access
    consistently rapidly.

7. 7 sex games March 9, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I always emailed this blog post page to all my friends, since
    if like to read it next my links will too.

8. 8 shore residences March 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hi I am so thrilled I found your webpage, I really found
    you by accident, while I was searching on Bing for something else,
    Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a incredible post and a
    all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read
    it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the great b.

9. 9 Film Complet Streaming VOSTFR 2014 February 22, 2014 at 11:26 am

Heya! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new apple iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all
    your posts! Keep up the excellent work!

10. 10 cheap auto insurance rates February 11, 2014 at 8:30 am

While there are several print directories, the growth
    of the internet has helped lead to a large collection of online car insurance directories.
    This will let you determine there are any kind of
    unpaid passes you need to manage. If they
    are not, you will end up spending out a lot of money despite spending for your top quality.

11. 11 company registration February 9, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Beneficial data. Fortuitous my family I came across your website by chance, with this particular amazed the reason that coincidence wouldn’t came to exist earlier! I bookmarked the idea.

12. 12 the pirate bay movies 2012 February 8, 2014 at 8:55 pm

The download The Debt DVD rip that is still standing can
    be an oddity. Nash, who had received a gigantic claim in reward for his discovery, may be seen almost any day
    busily at work. Neighbours were few in number, there were only three other women
    living within the neighbourhood – all lived either in bark huts or
    tents using young children.

13. 13 http://bricemo.pixnet.net/blog/post/96884214-download-escape-from-chernobourg-movies December 23, 2013 at 12:14 pm

One example will be the Kaspersky anti-virus that is currently featured as one of the must-download software.

Its a good elderly man travels backwards with time to when he would
    be a young handsome man inside 1970s. The Bit – Torrent protocol basically permits people
    to upload and distribute parts of a file in the same time.

14. 14 buy Lipo 6 October 18, 2013 at 3:35 am

You might unquestionably visit your experience within the paintings you’re writing. The whole world wants a lot more zealous freelancers as you who aren’t scared to say the way they believe. Continually follow your own center.

15. 15 budapest October 8, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Outstanding post. I’d been examining consistently this website using this program . inspired! Really valuable details specifically the eventual cycle :) I actually handle such information a great deal. I became seeking this selected data for the really very long occasion. Appreciate it and also associated with luck.

16. 16 Rocky (@ThaGreatOne99) September 17, 2013 at 7:54 am

I just hope third time is the charm ( Tanaka)

17. 18 Idiot Fan September 16, 2013 at 9:49 am

I actually forgot that AA tried to get him (twice didn’t he?). I wonder what his hold up was? Winning, Canada? What a season.

18. 19 Wes Kepstro September 14, 2013 at 10:47 am

Love this piece. I can only hope that he fails historically in the playoffs, or in the games leading up to the playoffs.

1. 1 Blue Jays Morning Brew: Rasmus Rakes, Kawasaki Sings, A.J. Jimenez out of AFL? - Jays Journal - A Toronto Blue Jays Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More Trackback on September 15, 2013 at 7:00 am