Why Trade Edwin Encarnacion?

I should know better than to get too excited about the rumours that make the rounds as the baseball trade deadline approaches but anytime I see Edwin Encarnacion’s name mentioned I scratch my head.  I always ask myself the same question.

Why would the Blue Jays trade a guy who has finally started to reach the potential the team had originally hoped for?

In 60 games EE has slashed 281/348/561 with 13 2Bs, 17 HRs, 44 RBIs, 6 SBs, .281 ISO, .386 wOBA.

With absolutely no defensive value at all he has already been worth 1.6 wins.  He is having an all-star season and has combined with Jose Bautista to form the best homerun hitting duo in baseball.

There is no doubt that should the Jays decide to move him he would be a highly sought after commodity but the team has a stacked minor league system as it stands right now and really only a need for established major league pitching.

Any team that would interested in adding him for the stretch run most certainly couldn’t afford an arm out of their rotation when pitching is so vital to any playoff success or berth.  Any possible deal involving EE would most likely be the standard multiple prospect package which the Jays currently have an abundance of at almost every position.

Unless a team were crazy enough to ponder moving a guy like Dylan Bundy (a guy can dream?) or another sure fire minor league stud knocking on the big league’s doors than I see no point in simply adding more prospect depth.

Obviously everything changes if the team has made contract overtures and is not confident they can re-sign the player either at a fair rate or at all.  But I have faith in our current front office to get him signed to a reasonable team friendly contract.

It appears Encarnacion is a player starting to figure it all out at the dish and enjoys being a member of the Toronto Blue Jays, always a good combination.

About these ads

18 Responses to “Why Trade Edwin Encarnacion?”

1. 1 chief00 June 15, 2012 at 5:16 pm

If we think of these Jays against the Jays who did so well in the 1983-1993 era, then these guys are the ’83 version. If that’s sort of accurate, then the present players need to be thought of in terms of Dave Stieb, Jimmy Key, Lloyd Moseby, George Bell, Jesse Barfield, Willie Upshaw, Fred McGriff, Damaso Garcia, etc., etc. Very few of them were impact players for the championship teams. In other words, everyone on the present squad is expendable, including Edwin Encarnacion.

Edwin is more or less a non-contributor on defense, but he’s capable offensively. If he can be flipped for someone who improves the team, then away he goes.

That said, I have no idea what his value is. If he’s packaged with Darren Oliver and perhaps Jason Frasor, then I can see lots of AL contenders being interested. Historically contenders want pitching and veteran hitting at the deadline.

• 2 AL Eastbound (@ALEastbound) June 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I agree chief, if the offer is too good to pass don’t get me wrong, MOVE HIM!

I am just not interested in a package of three lower level minor league prospects.

We need players who can contribute as early as 2013 IMO, on the same path as Gose, d’Arnaud, Hutchison etc.

2. 3 IdiotFan June 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm

With a good free agent haul, some internal improvement (Lawrie, Esco, 1B) the Jays can be competitive next season. I have no doubt.

3. 4 Darcy June 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I am in favour of trading him now. Arizona would be a good landing spot for him and maybe Escobar. I would love the Jays to get Bauer & Holmberg or something similar. It is time for Hechavarria to move up and Snider would replace Encarnacion (I am sure with some regular at bats he would figure it out), or you could bring up D’Arnaud and he an JP could switch between C and DH.

4. 6 FlO'sFan June 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm

As an O’s fan I would love to plug EE in our offense but it would probably take him and Bautista to get Bundy. I would think the O’s would offer a major league ready pitcher such as Tillman or Brad bergesen. Those two have had some success and are pitching really well now in AAA with no room for them at the major league level.

5. 7 AB June 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm

AA should work his magic and set up another 3 way trade. He’s done it before with plenty of success. Moving EE to the Dodgers could work as they could use a replacement for Loney, and the prospects coming back could be moved to a team looking to rebuild.

6. 8 Ryan June 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

How about E5 and Nicolino to the Brewers for Greinke? Then, you sign Greinke to an extension, becoming your ace. Then, Morrow and Romero should improve their stats as they will be facing #2 and #3 starters respectively, which should allow them to win more ballgames.

7. 9 Ryan June 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I don’t really think you need to be thinking about replacing the bat anytime soon. I still see the Jays as a team aiming for 2014 and beyond. You just don’t want to give a contract extension to a guy who is going to take up your DH spot now and in the future. Albeit, he is mashing right now, but that’s all the reason to sell high on him. He is 30 years old and the Jays will not be contending until he is in his declining years.

• 10 IdiotFan June 15, 2012 at 12:48 pm

If you think the Jays are aiming for 2014 and should trade EE, then you HAVE to think about dealing Jose Bautista, who is older and will also be declining.

I don’t think Jays fans want to see a complete blow-up, nor do I feel it is necessary.

They still have the second best run differential in the AL East….

• 11 Darcy June 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm

dealing Bautista is a great idea. A big bat would be a high commodity given the new playoff format. Clubs would overpay and AA could turn a declinng Bautista into some great pieces. Lets be honest, the Jays are not close to contending today or even next year, so why not use the pieces you have to make you better long term.

8. 12 Ryan June 15, 2012 at 10:39 am

IMO, I think you guys should trade EE. At the end of the day, he is probably playign above his head this year and I don’t see this early monster success to be sustainable. Even if it is, all he is going to do long term is be half of a David Ortiz and either waste your DH spot or be a defensive liability. Maybe you could trade him and some prospects for a good starter?

• 13 Julian June 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

I also said Trade while his value is high but I doubt AA will get what he wants for him. The OP said the Jays are stocked at almost every position but I think he’s overlooked 1B/DH, 2B and high ceiling SP. Yes the Jays have tremendous depth but none of the young arms have the high ceiling that other teams boast, and there’s no real second baseman of the future, nor is there a slugging 1B working his way to the majors right now either. I’d look for a magical deal involving a super high ceiling SP or a slugging 1B type and like I said, AA probably won’t find it, so ultimately they’ll be forced to work out a team friendly deal with him if he accepts that.

• 14 IdiotFan June 15, 2012 at 11:47 am

They would be breaking up a very quality 1-2 punch and have next to zero power in their lineup.

I think Hechavarria could move Escobar to 2B and they are definitely loaded with high ceiling SP (Sanchez, Syndergaard, Nicolino, Norris) IMO.

• 15 IdiotFan June 15, 2012 at 11:48 am

never thought of that angle, as part of a bigger deal or even three teams.

• 16 just_another_comment June 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm

In response to your earlier comment:

“I am on the fence, if you move EE how do you replace that veteran high quality bat?”

There are a few other big points to consider:
        1) Will the Blue Jays actually compete this year?
        Just be honest; it’s a no. The second half of the season is ridiculously tough and there are already too many holes.

2) Will these guys return next season?
        The question to ask in the off-season is, “can I re-sign my key guys?” KJ will be the hottest free agent at 2B and EE will be amongst the best bats available. Re-signing them is a question mark.

3) 1B and DH will be overcrowded next year
        1B: Lind, Cooper, EE
        DH: Arencibia (if D’arnaud wins the catching job), EE, Gomes

Eventually Bautista will move to 1B or DH since the Blue Jays are loaded with OF prospects. So really, it’s not feasible to keep them all, so one of them will be traded. Amongst them, EE is really the only player who actually has any trade value, and his trade value will never be higher.

4) The trade market
        VERY few teams are selling this year; amongst the sellers, very few of them actually have a powerful bat. It’s a bit of a stretch, but I can imagine EE bringing in an A prospect, like what Beltran did last year. Many teams could be desperate and very few teams are offering sales.

GM AA knows how to execute the trades so perhaps, maybe the Blue Jays could go grab themselves a good 2B/SS prospect for EE.

Also it’s just a tangent, but you’re actually dead wrong to say “next to zero power their lineup”, but that’s just a tangent to my point. I’m only guessing, but Rasmus and Escobar will be under the same predicament in a few years time. But at least their replacements will be ready.

1. 1 Edwin Encarnacion Contract Extension Is A Bargain « AL Eastbound & Down Trackback on July 12, 2012 at 7:31 pm
  2. 2 Blue Jays Starting Rotation Decimated by Injury « AL Eastbound & Down Trackback on June 16, 2012 at 10:13 am